Friday, April 10, 2020

Burmagomphus group

Family Gomphidae

Burmagomphus hasimaricus 
Fraser 1926
Elevation 700-900m
Abdomen Length 32mm
Location Phewa Taal

The Pokhara Museum has a specimen and I have confirmed my ID with that one. A female teneral specimen was taken because it was so badly damaged as seen below. I found it clinging to a stick next to the lake with very badly damaged wings. It is recorded as data deficient by IUCN. The first record was from Hasimara West Bengal. Since it was just emerging at the start of the monsoon it must mate and fly during June. I have seen more emerging along PhewaTaal during this time.

Male
A mature male and female (below) photo credit to Mahendra Limbu.

Female


Burmagomphus sp. nov.
Elevation 80m
Abdomen Length?
Location Karnali River

Late afternoon at the beginning of October in Bardia National Park we sat next to the Karnali River where we could see the new bridge at Chisapani. I noticed a gomphid sitting on a piece of driftwood. It flew off way out over the Karnali River and then returned to some tall Elephant grass. I then saw a female with a nice egg bundle protruding from the abdomen. I am not able to ID this one because I did not collect a specimen from the park.
Male
Female

No comments: